Trump cancels military parade due to high costs






U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he had canceled a planned military parade this fall in the nation's capital because of the "ridiculously high" price tag given by D.C. officials.

"The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I canceled it," Trump tweeted.

"Never let someone hold you up! I will instead attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th. Maybe we will do something next year in D.C. when the cost comes WAY DOWN. Now we can buy some more jet fighters!"

The potential price tag for the military display was $92 million, according to reports, a figure first reported by CNBC. That was way above initial estimates.

However, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, a Democrat, responded to Trump's claims in a Tweet on Friday.

"Yup, I'm Muriel Bowser, mayor of Washington DC, the local politician who finally got through the reality star in the White House with the realities ($21.6M) of parades/events/demonstrations in Trump America (sad)," she said.

The military parade was requested by Trump earlier this years.

The Department of Defense said Thursday that the parade was being delayed until 2019.


Spread the news:

Comments